Saturday, July 12, 2008

Pamamanhikan

Two weeks before this day, there was a bit of a ruckus because of some tradition mama mentioned about the bride to be. "Sa iba nga may pamahiin na bawal magbuhat ang babae kahit kutsara." Because I felt bitchy that time, I just had to tell it to Nico. Somehow I think now is not the right time to conceal all the nasty things that may happen in the future so while it's still early, better to torture him in the flames. That was bad...but Nico is just the most understanding and mature person on earth when it comes to things like this...I even think his maturity is gone unnoticed by many but anyways, we got through that.

Just yesterday, there was another episode of dramatics that went on about the budget for this day and some extra mouths to feed...the emotional argument and the McDonalds McChicken Nuggets Meal for two with extra large fries each soothed my aching anger but proved futile as the people concerned didn't even manage to make it.

Anyway...I thought I was the one most excited, anxious, nervous and just plain panic-stricken about this day. Frankly, I think pamamanhikans are the most underrated events in the world!!! Imagine two families who've never met before, who have no obligation to be nice to each other...meet for the first time and see, judge and feel each others company...then, for the sake of their family members, they are forced to like just a little bit each and every family member as it will spell the start of their bond forever in time...through hardships and celebrations...

Thank God though I was wrong about being the only one bothered about the whole thing. Nico was apparently too nervous as well which was why he asked that we go out for breakfast, visit a gallery, have lunch and watch a movie (Mama Mia...how perfect and effective it was!) before the BIG DINNER BASH.

Before Nico fetched me, my parents were up at around 4:00 in the morning already. When I got up, I saw embroidered table cloths, our fancy plates and cups, paired spoons and forks and our Teflon dish trays all out to dry. The chairs were lined up around the prolific wooden dinner table...the floor spic and span...the rugs and sofas vacuumed...looks like they wanted to make a good impression as well...it was flattering but at the same time, still nerve-wracking!

I got a call from Ate Byang that she can't make it. I have a feeling Conrad has something to do with it. But I just pushed it off at the back of my mind lest I ruin my day!

And then 6:00 a.m. started...now...I am still contemplating how it went and if it was really successful. When I see Nico for breakfast tomorrow, I'll know...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home