Sunday, March 02, 2008

a love-hate relationship with theater

I am tremendously enjoying my one minute appearance in Pygmalion. So far, I've done two shows and have one last on Tuesday. I adore the people, they're nothing but angels released from heaven. I'm learning abundantly from the students, more than what I've taught them. I'm getting to catch up with long-time friends I've had no contact with...it's addicting, it's electrifying and it's hard to let go...which is why I hate it just the same.

A theater production has a way of organically creating a force field around it, among its people, its set, when call time starts and when company call ends. There seems to be an awful amount of obsession that it gives to people. Sometimes, when people allow themselves to be drawn too much, it may work to their disadvantage in the end...

The last time I've been involved was three years ago, for Clytemnestra. I even have this blog to look back to. This time, some generous people have worked on a schedule and spoiled me to death just so I can jump on the boat...

Its effect has been enormous! My schedule's been messed up, I'm lagging behind more with my paper deadlines for UP, my reading has been slow and things seem to be getting complicated...but somehow, my involvement here gives me some sort of solace that I'm doing something I love...but reality is...even if I admit I can never get over how great it feels to be part of a team especially with this last production...I'm slowly accepting that I can't have it all.

Edzon and I just worked on a "project" in anticipation of a bigger "project"...that was my excuse for dilly-dallying last February, this March, this play seems to be my excuse...it has to stop...but I have no clue how to start stopping...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home